The Student News Site of Hooks High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

HHS athletes to attend regional track meet
William Foster, Christian Shelby • April 18, 2024
Starting a New Tradition
Starting a New Tradition
Walker Davis, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Winning Big

Debate team competes at regional congress
Winning+Big

On November 10th, the HHS debate team attended Regional Congress at the Region 8 Center in Pittsburg, Texas. 

“I think that the day was one of the most nerve racking moments of my year to be quite honest,” Debate Co-Captain Emma Hughes said. “As prepared as I felt, I didn’t entirely know what to expect.”

These students competed in an all day mock congress round, against 11 students from two other schools. The students were tasked to give and debate prepared speeches based upon pieces of federal legislation written completely by the students.

“If you have a voice, then you got to project it,” Debate Captain Damian Vazquez said.

When results came in, Vazquez was announced the regional champion, placing 1st overall and set to compete at the state level in January. Jonathan Tinajero Juarez and Emma Hughes placed 4th and 5th, both becoming alternates for state. Hughes also was voted the Top Presiding Officer by her peers. Lastly, Dakota Buckley placed 8th in the competition. 

“When you’re from the bottom and you’re working hard just to get to the top, then they have to respect it,” Vazquez said.