7 Questions with an HHS Debate Club Member

HHS student Chito Vazquez

Katherine Kyles, Reporter

We had the opportunity to interview Chito (Damian) Vazquez, an HHS Debate Club Member. Here’s is what we learned:

1.Favorite memory involving debate club?

Vazquez answered, “My favorite memory would be when at a debate tournament a kid threatened to fight me.”

2. Are there any requirements to be met in order to join

“There are requirements to be in debate club, such as, participating in UIL events and maintaining a passing grade”, said Vazquez.

3. What does a debate club meeting look like?

“We go over the speeches we have prepared and get a battle plan for the competitions.”

4. What has the debate club offered you?

“Debate club has offered me a chance to improve public speaking and has given me awards and it can definitely give scholarships if you reach that level.” chito responded.

5. Why should  people join debate club?

Chito replied, “People should join debate class imply because it helps receive college scholarships and can raise self esteem and introduces you to real competition. It really makes you want to be the best YOU.”

6. Why do you enjoy being a member?

Chito quickly responded stating, “I enjoy being a member, it is a different feeling when i’m at a tournament; competing against people who want to win (like me) makes me fight harder which makes me better.”

7. How can people join debate club?

“People can join debate club simply by reaching out to the debate coach, Ms. Woods, and asking if they can join. If one shows they want to compete and shows they will take debate seriously they will be able to join.”, Chito answered.

We appreciate Chito’s interview about the joys of debate club. If you are interested in being interviewed as a club member comment below.