The Student News Site of Hooks High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

HHS athletes to attend regional track meet
William Foster, Christian Shelby • April 18, 2024
Starting a New Tradition
Starting a New Tradition
Walker Davis, Reporter • April 12, 2024

The Spirit of Harmadon

Hooks Hornets defeat Harmony Eagles in first football game of season

Nothing brings a town together more than Friday night lights. The Hornets brought out seemingly the whole town when they defeated the Harmony Eagles on August 25, at The Hive Stadium. Students, staff, families, and Hooks alumni came out to support the Hornets in their first game of the season.

The coaches predicted the large community turnout for the game.

“There was a lot of weight on our shoulders because they had beat us in the 2nd round of the playoffs last year,” Varsity Football Player Jorge Velazquez said.

The Hornets wanted redemption, and they got it. The Hornet football players have been preparing for the 2023 football season since the last school year. Summer practices, scrimmages, before-school practices, and meetings with coaches helped prepare the team for the upcoming games.

“The coaches really care and want us to succeed in football, on and off the field,” Velazquez added. “The team would not be nearly as successful without the support of Hooks ISD, the community, and football coaches.”

The Hornet community is crazy about football, which can be seen through the massive support the team receives from all aspects both within and outside of Hooks ISD.

“The audience was one of the biggest ones we’ve had,” Varsity Football Player Ashton Odom said.

With such an involved cheer squad, band, and color guard, it’s hard not to love Friday Night Lights. Football games offer something for everyone: sports, entertainment, socialization and, of course, food.

To start the game, the Hornets won the coin toss, which gave them the choice of receiving the ball or sending the ball for the first play. The Hornets chose to receive the ball. Kickoff was at 8, rather than the standard 7:30, in an attempt to avoid high temperatures.

At halftime, the Hornets were losing. The band performed the first segment of their intensely rehearsed, “Fire and Ice” themed production. Worry and anticipation rang through the stadium, but the Hornets kept hoping for a win.

Then, in the 3rd and 4th quarters, the Hornets made a comeback. The final score for the first game was 26-22. The Hornets are looking forward to a victorious and long football season.