สวัสดี ฉันชื่อยา (Hello, I’m Ya)

Foreign exchange student packs bags, moves across world to have American teenage experience

Jaidyn Henderson, Editor

Seventeen-year-old Atchariya Ammatacheewanon, or Ya, is an exchange student from Thailand that joined a program to experience life in a new culture. Ya moved to the United States in July of 2022, and met her host family the Flores. So far, Ya has made many friends and has gained an understanding of American culture by learning different things about it. 

“I think that this is so amazing for me,” Ya said. “I had never seen a football game before, but living here I [finally] saw [one].”

Due to the fact that she wore uniforms while she was in Thailand, Ya has learned how to express herself through her fashion. While she has been here, she has noticed the differences between Thailand and America. She mentions that Thailand does not have spirit days.

Ya was nominated to be on homecoming court by classmates, which she says is one of her favorite memories. Her other fond memories include Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and football games.

Ya has also grown to appreciate the food here. She loves barbeque, and macaroni and cheese. With 4 months left in America, Ya wants to go to the beach and experience her first ever prom!