Sweeping the Competition

UIL students win big at district competition

Katherine Kyles, Reporter

HHS students competed in the district UIL meet held last Tuesday at Region 8 in Pittsburg, Texas. The group was awarded 5 plaques and over 40 medals.

“I am at a total loss of words which doesn’t happen too often,” Superintendent Keith Minter said. “I am sure it has happened before, but I personally can’t remember this kind of [UIL] domination in my career here.”

Hooks students began preparing for this event in early August and did not disappoint.

“My experience with UIL has always been positive, from when I was a student here at Hooks doing a million UIL events, to now being a teacher and coach,” Literary Criticism event coach, Ms. Woods said.

Like Ms. Woods’ team, many others also brought home group awards. These other teams were: Social Studies, Current Issues and Events, Calculator Applications, and Mathematics.

“UIL helps the school academically. When we start having kids compete, it shows that our school is well educated,” History teacher and UIL coach Mrs. Cellers said.

Students were also able to place individually in each event they competed in. Students who placed 1st overall were: James DeAnda (mathematics, social studies, and calculator applications), Guen Cannon (literary criticism), and Jayden Baird (current issues and events). Other students who placed top six in their events were: Karlee Mitchell, Jonathan Tinajero, Caydon Coleman, Alden Beard, Joshua Camacho, Rylan Baird, Lauren Murray, Carson Hill, Abby Bagget, Daphney DeSantiago, Damian Vazquez, and Emma Hughes.

“Most students want to avoid signing up for extracurricular activities that require additional hours spent on school work,” Cellers said. “However, competing in UIL events is not just about spending extra time in the classroom after school. . . It’s also beneficial to the student in their college applications and overall future.”

Hooks encourages more students to participation in UIL.

“It’s always great when you get to get out of school for a day and it’s even better considering how well we have done,” Woods said.