Winning Rookie Year

Hooks FCCLA to compete in the State Leadership Conference.

Karyssa Riley, Reporter

Hooks FCCLA will travel to Dallas tomorrow, to compete in the State Leadership Conference against all Texas FCCLA members. Competitors include sophomores, Mackenzie Butler and Harley Davis, junior, Chito Vasquez, and senior, Paul McKeon. Back in February of 2023, these students excelled in regional competitions and advanced to state. The state conference takes place at the Hilton

Anatole from March 31st to April 2nd.

Students spent weeks preparing for their events. Butler and Davis are competing in “Toys that Teach”, a competition to design the best educational toy. The pair designed a “learning cube” with sides displaying the ABCs and numbers.

“I am feeling nervous and excited,” Butler said. “We have had to put a lot of effort into the project and we are getting to help our community by donating our cube after the competition.”

Vasquez and McKeon are competing in “Promote and Publicize,” an event to spread awareness and gain membership by advertising FCCLA, which is done through events, fundraisers, speeches, and community outreach.

2022-23 is the first year these teams have competed in FCCLA, meaning it’s their “rookie year.” Members, and their advisors, had to work hard to learn the rules, competition techniques, and fundraising ideas. These teams, and chapter as a whole, have exceeded expectations regarding competition and membership.

Wishing the Hooks FCCLA chapter the best of luck at State!