The Choice Is Yours

The Choice Is Yours

Jaidyn Henderson, Editor

High school can only take students so far with their academic careers. It prepares students for the next step in life, which could be either college or straight into a job of their choosing. Everyone studies the basics such as math, science, history, and English, but electives are based on our choice.

Most people will use the electives as a class to pass the time or to try something new, but others use the electives they choose to help with a future career. For example, if someone wants to be an interpreter, having classes that teach foreign languages can help give a boost. The issue, and what some schools lack, is more electives.

Hooks offers more than enough electives, but most students don’t take advantage of them because certain classes do not benefit anyone at all. Not everyone likes to learn, but the ones that do should have the opportunity to do so. But more electives means spending more money, finding the right candidates to teach the classes, and finding the space to put the classes.

“We use core teachers to offer elective courses to increase the courses available,” Principal Beverly Shannon said. “Students chose a Program of Study as well as an Endorsement that dictates some of their elective choices.”

Depending on the size of the schools and the town depends on how many parents pay taxes to the state, which benefits the school. Seeing as Hooks is not a big town nor does the school have more than 400 students, this effectively makes money a problem.

“We are already using the even year odd year offerings to increase the number of elective offerings,” Shannon said. “Also, some next levels of a course are being offered at the same time by the same teacher, for example, Art I and Art II, Floral Design, Newspaper, Ag class practicums, etc.”

The school has considered plans to eliminate early dismissal to make time for more electives. Teachers will be able to make this possible by offering even year odd year courses. Another plan considered is to cut collaborative planning periods for core teachers, which is a backwards movement as far as instruction is concerned.

Some examples of elective courses and areas already offered to the students of Hooks High School are: Principles of FNR, Wildlife Ecology, Plant Science classes like Principles of Floral Design, Animal Science, Food Science, Human Services, Family and Community Services, Child Development, Applied Agricultural Engineering, Hospitality and Tourism, and arts A/V Tech and Communication.