Talent Show, Not Competition

HHS holds annual student talent show

Katherine Kyles, Reporter

HHS held its annual student talent show on Friday, April 29th during 8th period in the auditorium. Students saw a variety of talent performances from nine different students, ranging from freshman to seniors. 

“We’ve got a lot of singers, we’ve also got some people playing instruments, [and] Will Jones is on his drums of course,” talent show coordinator and theatre director Brynn Woods said.

Students were expected to pay $1 to receive entry to the show. The money raised went to the theater and debate programs. The show was hosted by two debate team members, James DeAnda and Damien Vazquez, who would introduce contestants while cracking jokes. 

Throughout the event, the audience would interact with the performer. This happened especially when freshman Harley Davis was singing on stage. The background music unexpectedly cut out so she stopped singing. She said “what do I do?,” to which the audience responded with encouragement to continue without the sound track. She was awarded with loud applause at the end of her performance.

Jones also received praise from the audience for playing drums. The music was loud, the bass was up, and the lights were dim. The Hooks auditorium was transformed into a music venue for Wills act. The crowd danced along with the beat of his drums and even gave a standing ovation. 

Bethanie Bridges, a senior recently named Miss Hooks, was shown love from the audience as well. The crowd turned their phone flashlights on and held them up in the air, swaying along with the music, classic concert etiquette. The audience’s interaction with the performers gave them confidence and enhanced their performance.

“It’s a talent show not a competition,” Woods said, when asked if this event had a prize.

Good thing this event had no winners as it would have been hard to determine the champion out of  all of Hooks talented students.